I spent today figuring out why our Excel to PDF conversion was rounding all numbers to two decimal places (it was StarOffice) and trying out some interesting components - PDF Watermark and ContentCategorizer.
PDF Watermark allows you to chuck a watermark on our PDFs either statically or dynamically. Static means that when a document gets checked in, the watermark is added to the PDF and the result is stored permanently as the web-viewable. Dynamic means that the web-viewable PDF is untouched, but whenever someone tries to see it the watermark is magically added. I found static worked great but the dynamic was a total hit-and-miss.
I was excited by ContentCategorizer and the prospect of tags, automatic metadata assignment and maybe even reading values out of the content itself, like recording the camera used to take a photo. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to get it to work. None of that stuff happens out-of-the-box anyway, you need to configure it all, and in true UCM style I mean it does nothing out-of-the-box. The manuals were no help either, this needs a consultant to demo.
Anyway, I was booked in for the "Advanced Site Studio" Oracle course next week but the instructor had his visa rejected. Bugger. I was going to get him/her to write me an "Insert Multimedia" widget for Ephox... now I have to do it myself. After all, the system supports inserting multimedia but, in true UCM style... yeah you know the rest.